I'm getting a lot of questions on how to enable Hebrew under maemo. I know that the fonts have been packaged already and I guess there's also an input method. It's as easy as writing an XML file for my not so broken Hildon Arabic input method.
I just don't understand why can't they be made available publicly or made known ?
I was trying to package hunspell-ar for Chinook so I ended up packaging:
* hunspell (libhunspell and its development headers)
* enchant (hunspell and ispell providers but I'll disable ispell soon)
* dictionaries-common and dictionaries-common-dev (hunspell-ar depends on them)
As for dictionaries-common and dictionaries-common-dev, they are different than the Debian ones. Yes I'm using the same source but I'm only providing the bits related to myspell. I didn't include the policy too.
I noticed this because of my work on him-arabic.
If your plugin provides a language other than the 16 "known" languages, It will be displayed as " ()".
Ideally, The fix should be somewhere else but not all of the components are open so even if I can fix it, I won't be able to publish patches or packages.
It seems that the source provided with the SDK is a bit outdated so I had to grab the latest trunk: https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/trunk/hildon-input-metho…
This is my Arabic related TODO list for maemo. It's my personal one not the Nokia employee one :-)
* katoob should be fully functional (I'm learning here). Actually I did more work today and I guess it's fine.
* Package and publish some Arabic fonts (I know there's one provided by the browser team).
* See what can be done regarding input (Low priority. Sorry to say that I don't like the HIM plugin interface).
* Check arabeyes.org apps. Is there anything useful and needs "porting" ?
* glibc/x11 Arabic locale ?
* Any suggestions ?