You are here
I have 2 laptops. My personal one at home and my work one at the office. Both are running testing. A month or two ago, I did a dist-upgrade on the home one. Later on I rebooted (DUH!) it for a reason I can't remember just to end up with very tiny fonts under GNOME. It took me some time to tweak them back again and play with the GNOME anti-aliasing dialog. Now if you know me well, you know that the last thing someone should do to me is to touch my font settings. I have a very sensitive eye (Because I have a very low vision) and I hardly tweak the fonts. All went somehow fine after that. Problem is I wasn't sure whether it was fglrx or GNOME who's responsible for that.
I always do a dist-upgrade everyday (!) but never bother to restart X or reboot. A few days ago, GNOME at the office crashed on me and guess what ? I ended up with the same problem again. Fonts. Tried tweaking it this time but no use. Copying the font settings from the other laptop was not an option because I'm using a large LCD at work but I can't afford to buy one for my personal laptop :-)
I thought it was fglrx, downgraded the driver but no use.
I decided that's it. I always used GNOME because I know Gtk+, gtkmm and somehow pygtk but the fonts breaking again was really too much.
I ended up switching back to KDE 3.x at work and at home. I just don't feel like using 2 different environments. This will confuse me ;-)
I remember I used KDE 1, GNOME 1.4, KDE 2.2, window maker, GNOME2, tried all the window managers out there until I settled with pekwm, hpanel, a few dockapps and that was my custom assembled DE. Until I switched to amd64 and the version I was using of pekwm (It was a CVS snapshot) started throwing exceptions. I wasn't really sure why and didn't have time to fix it. I wanted my laptop to be up and running again. I ended up trying the latest release but it did not work with hpanel (It was a hacked version because it wasn't originally working fine). and that's why I went back to GNOME.
Anyway, No flame please but KDE just rocks, it just works! I'm still having problems with fonts under Konsole (Bye multi-gnome-terminal) but I just need to free a few hours to test all the fonts out there.
Amarok works fine although the UI is a bit "cluttered" (But I managed to get it to crash :-))
I remember my phone complaining about not being correctly unmounted and warning about data corruption whenever I unplug it from the USB cable after asking GNOME to unmount it, KDE simply doesn't have this problem. The bad thing is that they removed "panel icons zooming upon mouse hover" but the tooltips are large and clear. Of course Arabic is still not that good under Konsole but I'd blame myself for that :-)
Konqueror is crappy as usual. I'm still using Opera :-(
Well done KDE team, Debian KDE team, GNOME team and Debian GNOME KDE team.
Thanks for the fish :-)
Now I guess I need to get myself familiar with the KDE/Qt API.