Writings Photos Code Contact Resume Me
Coding and hacking

You are here

The drupal database optimization day.

Submitted by msameer on Wed, 22/11/2006 - 1:07pm

The server was really screaming yesterday. I was trying to understand why.
I thought it was the aggregator module. I did some profiling for the aggregator SQL queries and while I'm at it, I did the same for some other modules and here we go: Here, here, here and here.
I'll be applying them too to the drupal sites I'm hosting whether they like it or not!


katoob 0.5.6 is out...

Submitted by msameer on Sun, 05/11/2006 - 7:22pm

ChangeLog:
* Don't try to convert the encoding if the requested one is utf8. return false if the text is not valid utf8 after we convert it.
* Reset the gui when we close the document from the document label close button.

Tarball, md5sum and GPG signed md5sum


katoob 0.5.5 is out.

Submitted by msameer on Thu, 02/11/2006 - 12:22pm

ChangeLog:
* Replace dialog: Removed "Find And Replace".
* Severe optimization for the lam-alef detection and manipulation code.
* Syntax highlighting support (Via libgtksourceviewmm)

Tarball, md5sum and GPG signed md5sum


Katoob 0.5.3 is out.

Submitted by msameer on Wed, 11/10/2006 - 12:46am

Only 2 new changed:
* Can now import and export text that has bidi and shaping applied to.
* The plain text exporting now depends on fribidi.
from the usual location!


Katoob 0.5.2

Submitted by msameer on Tue, 19/09/2006 - 10:58pm

Here's the tarball, md5sum and a gpg-signed md5sum file.
ChangeLog:
Can now open remote files using an external command.
Added an option to insert files.
Some small code improvements and cleanups.
Depend on gtkmm 2.6.0 instead of 2.6.5


How bad can it be ?

Submitted by msameer on Wed, 13/09/2006 - 7:59pm

I thought about it. Your original flight was delayed, you nissed the next flight. The carrier arranged for your atay but, you are unable to find your luggage!


katoob 0.5.1

Submitted by msameer on Tue, 05/09/2006 - 3:28pm

katoob 0.5.0 is out.

Submitted by msameer on Mon, 04/09/2006 - 12:18pm

This is how you can fix your utf8 b0rked drupal database.

Submitted by msameer on Tue, 29/08/2006 - 7:21pm

The problem:

You are on a shared hosting. Your host upgrades MySQL. Your drupal 4.7 installation is boom broken!

The reason:

Drupal 4.7 sets the database connection to utf8 if you are running MySQL 4.1+
When you upgrade drupal from 4.6 to 4.7 and you are using MySQL 4.1+, drupal will convert the tables to utf8. But it won't if you are running MySQL 4.0.
Your host upgrades MySQL from 4.0 to 4.1+ and drupal will start setting the connection to utf8 BUT MySQL "knows" that the tables are in latin1 encoding. He doesnt know that the data is really utf8 but the tables are latin1. It'll convert the data from latin1 to utf8 and send it to drupal. You'll end up with a broken website due to the double utf8 conversion.

The solution:

Use his script to convert the tables to utf8.

The instructions are near the top.